Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Paper Coil Sculptures

This is one of the projects that a second grade class completed for the school's art show. We started off by creating a very shallow "box" or "tray" from a piece of black construction paper. I gave them a 12" square piece of black construction paper and showed them how to cut the corners and fold it up to create the box. Then I gave them 1/2" wide strips of paper to create walls within the box. I taught them to fold the ends over and glue the folded ends to the sides of the box. Then we raided the scrap paper box. I demonstrated to the students how to cut strips of various widths of paper and curl them around a pencil or crayon. Then the edge of the coils are dipped into glue and the coil is placed within the box. Each separate area created by the walls in the box is filled in with a different color.

3 comments:

Susan Bivona, Art Teacher said...

I love paper quilling, the example you show looks great! I really like the idea of them making a box to work in, makes it much easier.

I just finished paper quilling with my 4th graders, you can see them here:
http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=282842

Kathy said...

brilliant idea for introducing quilling

Clemencia said...

I love this, thanks so much for sharing :) I am defenetly following you now, can't wait to see what else you have :)