Sunday, March 13, 2011

Trolling for lessons...

So now that my student teacher is gone, I know have to get back into the swing of things, and start teaching again. This last week was my first week back, but we had practice TCAP testing two days, and it was also the last week of the 9 weeks, so I was grading everything they did with Ms. Cupp. So this is a great time to plan for the next 9 weeks. One of the ways that I like to look for lessons is to cruise some of the other art teacher blogs out there. I usually head over to my friend's blog, http://artwithmre.blogspot.com/ and check out his blog roll on the side (I also sneak a peek to see where my blog is on the list, usually at the bottom the last couple of months!). I found 2 really interesting lessons that I think I will use for my 4th and 5th graders. The first one is at http://dolvinartknight.blogspot.com/ (also known as Mrs. Knight's Smartest Artists). While glancing through her blog, I noticed this picture
I love this project! It is eye-catching and I am tired of teaching one point perspective using buildings. It is also a great way to add in some tips on shading. I think that I am going to try this lesson with my 4th graders, using complimentary colors. I will post pictures when we are done with them.
The other lesson I found very interesting is from http://artiswhatiteach.blogspot.com/ (For the Love of Art)
I really like the visual texture that is created with the designs in the squares, and the fact that this projects incorporates technology, which is always welcome, even in a room that doesn't have a lot of technology. My 5th graders will be trying this lesson out, and hopefully they will have as much success as these students did!

On a side note, I have decided to add a blog roll to my blog, and if you would like me to add your blog, just add your link in the comments, and I will add them. This way it helps us both out, your blog will have another place to be seen, and I won't have to go far to troll for lessons! :)

(both pictures on this post are not my own, but have been taken from the blogs listed, to read more about these lessons, please click on the links above)

6 comments:

Hope Hunter Knight said...

Hi - glad you like the Op Art. I too get tired of some of the one-point perspective lessons and I saw this one on several different art teaching blogs and just gave it a try this year. Overall, it was very successful. Good luck to you!

kristin thomas said...

Thanks for linking to my blog. Good luck with this project- the kids love it. Here are a couple tips I didn't write in my post- Have the students color their eyebrows the same colors they used for hair, have them color their eyes as close to their real eye color as they can, and have them color their lip color a real looking lip color.

Nancie Kay said...

Would love to have you stop by my blog handsheadnheart@blogspot.com to see if you can use any of my ideas! You're off to a good start with these two projects...

Rachel Motta said...

Hey Janet! Please add me to your blog roll!

Love Rachel

www.artwithrmotta.blogspot.com

Mr. E said...

seems you've slipped close to the bottom of my blog roll...I know it must be a mistake or something...cause surely you've posted something recently?!?! :)

Hannah- Art.Paper.Scissors.Glue! said...

Would love it if you added me!

http://art-paper-scissors.blogspot.com