Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ms. Malone's art room is going to the birds!


So my second graders have begun working on collages this week. I wanted to make it fun and simple, so I decided to have them create a flock of birds. Only two classes so far have started, once they are all finished I will take a picture of the whole flock, but for now, here are a few of our little chicks...

I gave each student a pre-cut piece of construction paper, and put a pile of pre-cut patterned paper on their table. The student picked out their patterned paper and glued it to the construction paper, and then set the whole thing aside while they worked on their birds. Using more construction paper, they created their birds. If they showed good craftsmanship by not having excess glue, they could choose three feathers to use as the bird's tail. I hot-glued everything together for them, and then we displayed the birds in the hall. They had so much fun with them, and having the feathers as an incentive to finish it neatly was great too!



2 comments:

Barbara's Thought of the Day said...

OOOOooo. I love your birds. I'm starting with collage bugs this year and can't wait to get started.

Michelle said...

I love this idea! It's similar to a lesson I did with Kindergarten during my student teaching where the kids all made a bird out of a different shape, and then added feathers. The 3 birds are made of construction paper and glued onto the background where they drew in trees. It was cute, but I like this idea with patterned paper and collage! :)